When last did you ...

Why is it, that in a time when we shed blood for freedom of speech and we have every tool (and some) available to communicate … somehow we have lost the art of the spoken (or written for that matter) word … we leave so much unsaid, sometimes the most important things ...
Yesterday, feeling particularly exposed … I watched a movie I have in my collection (Pride and Prejudice – the 2005 re-make [yes, yes I know a complete chick-flick]), when the hunky lead Matthew MacFadyen, delivers a line at the end of the movie saying …
“you have bewitched me body and soul
and from this day forward,
I never want to be parted from you!”
I defy anyone to make me believe that that particular line doesn’t melt their soul … I’ve watched that particular movie about 15 times (or more) and every time that line sends me into a period of reflection … to love with such confidence, to express it so vulnerably is breath-taking.
And that particular line, then always reminds me of the line in Hidalgo when the very yummie Viggo Mortensen says,
“If I had a horse, my horse would love you too” … at least that one makes me smile.  A Romantic Cowboy!
So does this make me an incurable romantic, a friend of mine would say … CLEARLY! J  Then so be it, unapologetically …
But I do find it terribly sad that we don’t declare any longer … we have lost the need for grand gestures or even an intimate shared secret moment.  Have we been wounded so badly by life’s slings and arrows, that we have become hardened to the beauty of a truthful word …
Well, I triple dare you with knobs on - to all reading this (you know, those millions of you out there J) … resist it … how often have we thought something nice, wanting to set it free in a compliment but stopped ourselves for some or other reason and then only to have lost that moment forever … resist it I say … when last did you compliment … truly, genuinely and honestly compliment a perfect stranger or your someone you love, for no other reason, with nothing to gain or no ulterior motive other than to say something nice????
So, let’s try it for a month … and see your world (and mine) blossom and smile (on the inside) … and I’ll eat my hat if those compliments don’t come flooding back [not that that is our motivation] … but I truly do believe … what we put out … we get back …
What do you think?
Warm regards … Collette in Cape Town

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.