Come to your Senses!!!???

I AM A PLANNER!  There I said it! An absolute, control-freak, divine order of the Universe kind of a planner and most days this works very well for me, particularly because of the kind of work that I do (the one they pay me for and the one they do not pay me for) … and because I have got really good at the planning thing, I run the risk and the very real danger of not living in the now!  Not grabbing those seat of your pants moments.  I hesitate to say, I lack spontaneity because of what that means … I feel I do make impulsive decisions (like those shoes) but soon enough my brain kicks in and responsible me turns up … 
So how do I remediate this before I wake up at 68 and realize “What on earth happened, and where did the time go?”  I can’t drop the planning thing cold turkey, the DT’s and shakes that ensue are nasty (I have tried and lost).  So something I have started doing is relying on my senses (all 6 of them), which I am particularly tuned into, to facilitate the NOW!  And I LOVE IT!  It really works for me!  So let me share in the moments … maybe we can help each other slow down for a moment, to take a second to connect to the here and now …
Sight - quite an obvious one really … I have decided that this sense should be used for something more than taking in the occasional hottie in lycra cycle-shorts J.  Last night, we had THE MOST STUNNING post hot-day, zero wind, HUGE full moon night (my inner She-Wolf was desperate to run free aaawwwhoooooo – ok back to the blog) … I went out often to take in the breath-taking sight of that beautiful full moon.  The moon felt so close, I am sure I could see the Sea of Tranquillity - the irony was not lost on me … that was a moment.              [I’ve just heard on BBC News, that last night the moon was the closest to the earth, as what it has been in 2 decades – 1 to Collette! J]
Touchso much research and study has gone into the power of touch.  This one, I think, is a wonderful opportunity to make a real impact on the immediate world around us!  How many times have we felt worried or sad and someone who cares, has put their arms around us, gives us a cuddle and told us “It’ll be all right”, we know the platitudes are BS but the cuddle and the touch feels so warm and for just a minute it feels possible!  I deeply embrace this sense (again the irony is not lost on me) …  I border on restraining order when it comes to this one … I’m HUGE on touch, it comes very naturally to me and I REALLY have to concentrate at keeping my hands to myself, because it connects people and it works!  It helps in making a point - the gentlest touch to connect the person to the moment, it calms both of my children down when they are distressed or sick, if you tickle a salmon or a trout under their tummy’s they are hypnotised to their death (fact, look it up), it is a warm fuzzy memory from my childhood of my mother tickling me as a young child, it provides many a friend with loving connection and that is before we head into the fabulous intoxicating underworld of sensuality … that is for another blog … but that is a moment.
Smell – I have very few memories of before I was 7 years old (odd, yes I know, I’m working it) but there is one vivid, not so much memory as visceral sensory experience that floods my brain when I smell milk being boiled.  It brings out the strangest immediate flash-back of me being 6 years old at convent school in Rhodesia.  In winter, sometime during the morning the Nuns would lovingly warm up milk with a smidgen of sugar and give it to all of the children.  I don’t remember drinking the milk, but I do remember the smell of boiling milk and a very specific memory of a long corridor with lots of little children in it and the smell of rain in Africa (if you have smelt it, you know what I mean about the smell of rain fall in Africa – something very specific and earthy) together with a very specific painting on the wall of the Annunciation … and then … it is over … no more memory … it leaves as quickly as it came … but what I do find interesting is the intensity of that moment …   
Taste – well this one feels like a no-brainer … what is your most memorable taste and where does it take you???  Is it your first alcoholic drink (to which now you wonder what on earth where you thinking but you do smile) or is it your lover’s skin or is it a meal from your childhood which ONLY your mother (other’s have tried and failed miserably) can cook to perfection?  There are restaurants in the world that are in complete darkness and you are blindfolded.  The entire experience is meant to be sensory, specifically taste!  That is on my bucket list … very titillating … now that is a moment …
Hearing – don’t we all have a knee-jerk reaction now to our cell phones, we know ever bleep, squeak and whimper these techno devices make - we are so tuned into them.  But hearing should be more than that … hearing should be about isolating that one bird from the noise of the traffic or that one cord that resonates in us in our favourite song!  It’s been proven that a mother becomes so in tune to her baby’s cries, that she (the mother) can identify her crying baby in a crowded screaming nursery.  We are hard-coded to hear … and that is even before we begin to mention the beauty of music … AND sound has memories … how often do we hear a song and remember the hormone infested moments that ensued … now that is a moment … [stop blushing – you know you have …]
6th Sense – I believe we all have one … it doesn’t necessarily mean some weird “I can see dead people” kind of a thing … we all have something that we are particularly good at … mine is feeling it.  I LOVE watching the dynamics between people, particularly men and women both socially and in the work place.  The things that people do to be heard and have impact … it’s very interesting!  75% of all communication are non-verbal and I LOVE IT!  My 6th Sense is being acutely aware of the other five and I own that … that will facilitate my moments …
So, I still plan – A LOT … compulsively, OCD’ly, I personally think it is in my DNA … but I am working really hard at exercising my 6th Sense, at every possible opportunity, to gather up my moments into a bejewelled treasure trove … so that when I am 88, I won’t wonder “What on earth happened, and where did the time go?”
What do you think?
Warm regards … Collette in Cape Town

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.