Pain … it’s a funny old thing!

Pain!   It’s a funny old thing really!  Physical or Emotional?  Why do we have it?  And how long can we ignore it?
Don’t ask me why, but quite regularly (like disturbingly so) I think of those children that live with congenital analgesia (a rare condition where a person cannot feel (and has never felt) physical pain).  The first time I came across this I was in high school (yes yes, many many many moons ago J ) it clearly made an impact on me!  I remember thinking great, no pain ever again!  Fantastic, the girls will have no problems during childbirth!  Bring it!  Until I read a little further, 2 of the 3 children (1 a girl) all from one family, had died very young, under the age of 3 years of age.  They died because they couldn’t feel that they had injured themselves and it got infected and they just died …
Eventually I rationalized, that pain was indeed required and that it had its place under the sun.
Ok so, clever really!  The Designer hard-codes us with this thing, this early warning system that tells us that something is wrong or that something is unhealthy.  So why then, do we spend so much time ignoring the alarm bells?  Running on an injury?  Going back to that abusive relationship?  Ignoring that funny itchy red thing on your arm that seems to be changing shape?
Well, I’m not too sure why we ignore pain for so long or why we pretend it isn’t there … but I’m learning that eventually when it gets to the point that we just can’t live with that heart-ache any longer or when we can’t take another step in pain … you just have to deal with it!
Love you all madly …
Warm regards
Collette in Cape Town
You can now follow Zenith-Thinking Blog on Twitter ... http://twitter.com/#!/ZenithThinking

3 comments:

Justin A. said...

I had a class mate who couldn't feel anything in his left hand... he was in the kitchen talking to his mom, resting his hand on the stove hot plate.... then he smelt the bacon was done. -_-

Oakley said...

I thought I was the only one who did that. 

Collette in Cape Town said...

@Oakley ... we are all dealing with the same stuff ... more similar than different ...

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.