Red sky in the morning; shepherds warning …

Did you notice this morning (27th March 2012), the pink sky as the morning dawned … Red sky in the morning; shepherds warning.  I must admit, as I observed the pink dawn fan out across the early Cape Town sky, my soul trembled slightly secretly hoping that it was just another stunning sunrise and that no warning was required … alas not …

Our family are hotly on the rebound of our youngest being very ill (we are desperately hoping we have seen the worst of it now) … as I stood in the shower this morning, I thought of one of my colleagues whose young son beat childhood cancer.  I was always astonished at how well she handled it, I suppose really she didn’t have much of a choice, but today it hit me … mid shower … how on earth did she keep it all together?!?  A full time paying job, a home, other children, a husband, a marriage, dinner, homework, dishes and a child dangerously ill.  On the big sliding scale of illnesses, Kaitlin’s is\was mercifully a blip but it consumed both my husband and I with worry, energy and concern for 4 solid days and that is aside for the physical care.
I think our family must be part-mole … being sensitive to each other’s tectonic plate movements without a spoken word.  As Kaitlin got sicker trying to fight off her infection our family drew quieter (which you now know is bordering on impossible) and physically closer to each other craving physical connection to hasten Kaitlin’s healing process, trying to will her collectively back to her bouncy charming self.  Even our more self-reliant older child suddenly needed the reassurance of a hug and a cuddle and wanting to do something more productive other than holding a sick bucket, we gladly embraced for an extra-long cuddle …
As I stepped out on our blue dinosaur bath mat, the words of Michael Bublé’s Hold On played through my head.  That was what we were doing, Holding On!  Holding onto each other, holding onto the good moments through her illness (between meds), holding onto hope that today would be the day that the fever broke, holding onto our bravery as both Paul and I secretly calculated the speed to Casualty numerous times over the weekend, holding onto her as she vomited for the 15th time that day … and holding onto the knowledge that she would eventually get better …
So what have I learned … Hold On!  Eventually something has to give!  Don’t underestimate the healing power in physical connection.  We all know the stories about how well newborns do when they physically connect with their mother’s after birth.  And in the words of Michael … Hold on … we are stronger when together than we could ever be apart
Love you all madly …    
Warm regards 
Collette in Cape Town
  

Music to resonate …  Hold On by Michael Buble
In collaboration with Big G Productions!



© All the content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.
You can now follow Zenith-Thinking Blog on Twitter ... http://twitter.com/#!/ZenithThinking

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog !!

Sonjia said...

Excellent!! I so enjoy reading your blog, and so true!!

Deirdre said...

Reading this now, I have to admit that even I dont know how we did it. I guess you could say we lived everyday for that day... we still do....well, mostly from scan to scan, but hey, that's another story all together. Its times like these that we realise how very human we are and how no amount of faith can keep away the doubts at times of scans. Today, 3 years ago, our lives changed and we will never forget those words "your child has cancer". We thank HIM everyday for the strength for the road we travelled.

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.