If money were no object …

So about 10 years ago I worked an IT Helpdesk for a couple of years … at the time, it was soul destroying and lonely!  I think any helpdesk is a thankless job, it’s the nature of the work, no-one phones you to tell you that their PC is working beautifully and thank you for being at the end of the telephone, ready to assist.  People only call when they are frustrated beyond belief and unfortunately, no matter how much of a wonderful human being you are, that poor bugger on the end of the telephone - gets it!  Even if you do regularly donate to a kitten sanctuary.
In my early days on that Helpdesk, now in hindsight I completely acknowledge that I knew less than nothing, there would be long silences, while waiting for the PC to do as I commanded.  We all know computers, sometimes those copy’s and reboots can seem to take an age … so, desperately missing the human connection, I learned to work on my waffle (a skill you will agree, has me now at Olympic Level) … and of course over time you learn about your “Users” and small talk comes easier.  As I learned about the people I was supporting and gaining both knowledge and confidence, I ventured bolder in conversation and one conversation-sparker became my ignition for a life time of support silences … “So Bobby, if money were no object what would you be doing?  What is your passion?”  Strangely enough, rarely did I hear, “Why Collette, it is exactly what I am doing today!”  Normally there would have been a bit of a silence and then the information would flow … it’s amazing what people will tell someone on the phone (and I was in the same building as 90% of the people I supported).  People would tell me about their big dreams, some were very achievable and some were Everest idea’s, but even on the phone I could hear the sparkle in their eyes as they revealed their inner most passions and secret idea’s, long after the PC had rebooted.  After they had shared, the next question would usually be … “So what is stopping you? or What are you doing about getting there?”  The irony of the moment was that I was deeply unhappy myself in the work that I was doing (it took me 4 years to understand why I had to go through that experience first). 
The other day this wonderful quote came back to me …
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.   by Marianne Williamson
Recently I have been asking myself again … “What if money were no object …
Now I can hear you saying, but money is an object, there are bills to pay, children to educate, bonds to reduce and services to be paid.  The same is said for me … but a wise woman once said to me, that it doesn’t have to happen all at once, you can take steps towards it, incrementally.
So what I am learning … I am reminded, take action!  Take one step towards your passion … you will feel fabulous and you will feel like you are taking action instead of inertia.  So come on, let’s have some comments … What would you be doing, if money wasn’t required??  What is your passion??          

I love the line in the quote above that says
Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  How often do we muffle that screaming urge to do it, because we are worried about what other people will think?  Or what happens if I fail?  I also love the part about And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.  I love love love the idea of me motivating someone else, through me taking action towards my dreams!    
So let’s do it!  The Best is Still Unwritten …
Love you all madly …    
Warm regards 
Collette in Cape Town
 

My personal Mantra … Click Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

In collaboration with Big G Productions!



PS.  Oh and Be Nice to Helpdesks!  (Me included!)            
You can now follow Zenith-Thinking Blog on Twitter ... http://twitter.com/#!/ZenithThinking
© All the content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be taking photos of every corner of this beautiful country, on the back of a BMW F650GS! Off course with the best SLR camera money can('t) buy!

Deirdre said...

I'd be finding a cure for childhood cancer. For Free!

Kathleen said...

I would work in the Amazon!

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.