The little things ARE the big things…

Reluctantly, I have to admit that I am slightly (read completely) absorbed in the challenges that are my life at the moment … but this week I was reminded … it is always the little things that are the big things!  I can’t take any credit for that wonderful quote;  they are the lasting words of the late great Stephen Covey who sadly left this world a lesser place by his death earlier this month.
Like every parent before us, this week we faced a standard parenting situation, our youngest underwent a minor “procedure” and while academically we knew and completely rationalized to everyone else around us that it was incredibly minor (which seriously it really was) we could hear the words but, rather dramatically, our eyes secretly hid our fears.  We even chose to call it something else, less imposing than an operation … a “procedure”.  When faced with the actual moment, both Paul and I held our breath for about an hour pushing every surgical horror story right out of our minds.  We aged by 10 years in that short hour!  But that did not spark this post, we had after all been through it once before and we were bracing ourselves for the event.  What did spark this post was a single small (HUGE) gentle quiet act of kindness that touched my soul so deeply, that it threatened to crack my brave “she will be fine, we will be fine, we will all be fine *nervous laugh*” façade, on my worried face.  So what happened … one of my buddies at work, another busy working mother of 2 little children (smaller than ours, so requiring more of her full attention), with her own challenges of wife, mother, daughter, full arduous job, fabulous human being went out and bought me a beautiful flowering plant, leaned over and gave me a cuddle and said … “I’m thinking of you and everything of the best for Friday” … right there in the parking lot at work.  Firstly, I scrambled to recall what she was referring to because we hadn’t told too many people, or so I thought … and then I remembered that I had mentioned it to her about 2 weeks previously in the canteen over a surprise lunch and with ALL she has to deal with … she remembered and created a beautiful moment of consideration … I was deeply touched and speechless and we all know how rare that is …
It was that small act of kindness that warmed my soul and almost threatened to make me cry, it would have been a good cry (you will be impressed to hear that I didn’t crack).  And then there was more … the people in my office that knew, one by one in their own wonderful way started trickling in from about mid-day on Thursday and before leaving, to tell me that they were thinking of us and we would be in their thoughts and prayers.  There was another colleague who came over to me at the end of the day and didn’t say much but she reassuringly stroked my shoulder telling me very simply that she wishes us all of the best … and then there were the myriad of SMS’, BBM’s, WhatsApp msg, phone calls and our families all letting us know that Junior was in their prayers … it was wonderful to feel those collective moments … these people, every one of them, taking a minute out of their hectically busy day to reach out to us to pass on kindness!
So what have I learned … I’ve learned that although there are times in our lives that seem to demand our full attention, it is so important that we get our heads out of our own clouds (read @$$) and reach out to others with a small moment of kindness, to connect with someone, to share their load?  I’m reminded (again), that we are surrounded by wonderful people who love and care about us (not that I doubted that) but they showed it so beautifully … THANK YOU!
I’m reminded that these challenging moments pass … and I can report that Junior is indeed fabulous and came through the “procedure” with flying colours, she was such a trooper (so much better than her delicate mother, I’m embarrassed to report) but we are relieved and grateful that it is over …
Love you all madly …    
Warm regards …             
Collette in Cape Town
 


I love the words of this one … an up & coming British Artist, a refreshing music writer … Emeli Sande'  My Kind of Love!

In collaboration with Big G Productions!



You can now follow Zenith-Thinking Blog on Twitter ...
http://twitter.com/#!/ZenithThinking
© All the content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.

1 comments:

Johno said...

I loved this post, and I'm glad I stopped by to read it too. Happy all went well my friend...

X o x o

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.