Finish the Sentence Friday … Blog Hop # 2 – 11th January 2013

So I really had to dig deep on this one because I actually don’t embarrass easily.  Is that slightly weird?  Like seriously, I don’t … the more I thought about it, the weirder I thought it was!  I must be some kind of Psycho-Freak (please don’t all come back and comment yes), so why don’t I get embarrassed?  What on earth??  Anyway, when I was digging deeper’er, this one filtered into my consciousness in the shower … again (my regulars know, that like Einstein (fact), my best ideas come to me … naked … in the shower!  Let that go where you want it to …)
 
Finish the Sentence … The most embarrassing thing ever was…”
 
So, in my “day-job”, I work for a VERY safety conscious company.  Like seriously!  No apologies, it is good and important!  I just can’t make you understand how much of a top priority safety is.  We take it very seriously, no jokes … safety is not a laughing matter … however this one time …
 
So one morning, we were having a safety discussion around how to properly use a fire hydrant – you know those red jobbies that hang on the side of the wall from one year to the next (hopefully never to be used).  We were seriously engrossed in the demonstration of the correct procedure for use of said red fire hydrant;  how to check the fire hydrant, when not to use this type of fire hydrant (electrical vs oil fire – seriously important stuff to know).  There were about 30 of us huddled around this medium sized embarrassed hydrant, being seriously induced in all things fire hydrant!
 
Our Instructor was heavily qualified with safety paperwork, laminated certificates and badges to confirm certification.  For fear of ever needing this information someday, we silently and seriously hung on his every word … when suddenly our instructor (a lovely guy – we got on like a house on fire [pardon the pun] – but\and he had one of those delicious South African accents that make even the locals cringe when we hear it on TV), said VERY SERIOUSLY “and please make sure that before you head in the direction of the fire with the fire hydrant, make sure you are wearing the correct PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) (a very important point), because if you have the wrong type of clothing material on, it can burn into your skin or worse yet (and I kid you not he said)  like nylon underwear can melt off you in the heat … 
 
For a second we all just took a beat and took in that mental picture and wondered:  how many of us will be running down the passage AT WORK (towards a fire) only in our underwear – but ok … and then very quietly one of my colleagues from the back of the pack said … “but Collette, you told me you don’t wear underwear!” 
 
There was another moment of “did I really hear that correctly?” and then the room erupted and everyone burst out laughing and I turned bright red … like the little fire hydrant.  There endith’ed the lesson!
 
True story!
 
Love you all madly …    
Warm regards …             
Collette in Cape Town
 
[Having said that … and it is indeed a true story … but the names have been changed and slightly twisted to protect the not-so-innocent!  Jonno if you are reading this, thank you for the laugh (then and now), the memory and the blog!]

3 comments:

OhBoyMom said...

That was great Collette! Sounds like you handled it as well as could be...I would have turned fire hydrant red too!

Cyndi Calhoun said...

This was a perfect FTS Friday blog hop post! Great story!

Rich Rumple said...

See, you've got to watch who you tell things to! lol Funny tale! Sorry I'm late in getting around.

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.