FTSF – My Favourite movie of all time is…

I hate to own up to it (and I am going to lose all of my very hard earned street cred) but my favourite movie E.V.E.R. is ... Yentl!  I loved it!  There are so many areas in which it speaks to my soul!  Needless to say I own the soundtrack and it is a wonderful CD for the car (full blast with jazz fingers!).  I mean seriously, what is NOT to love about Babsie … I just LOVE Barbara Streisand!  (Yes, Yes I’m showing my age – but good music knows no timelines).  Barbara Streisand is on my list!  (NO – not that list!)  My 50 people I would like to meet list.  She is a consummate professional!  Then there is the full orchestra, that warm rich sound.  Did I mention that Yentl is a musical!  OMH is it indeed!  The score is light, serious, funny, heated, poignant and heart-breaking all in one.
 
Without giving too much away … the storyline is about a young woman who wants to study further and because of her era (early 20th century) and upbringing (strict Judaism) she is not permitted to study because she is not a man.  She pushes the boundaries, doesn’t take no for an answer and asks the question “Where is it written?” to many questions.
 
I love it!  I loved the way this young woman took her life in her hands, found a way to get around the rules and went off on an adventure that sang her way through a three-some, her first love, a marriage, the opportunity to expand her mind and to seek still more adventure.
 
I think one of the reasons this movie spoke to me so much was because, for a very long time … I was lost.  37 years to be exact.  Restlessly pacing my life and wondering where my path was written?  Pleading for a hint and living by default.
 
When I saw this movie and listened to the words and the music, I felt … at peace.  Not answered, but heard.  This movie was central to me asking “Where is it written?”  What is my path and who or what limits what I get to be in this big exciting world?  As the words go “The reason why a bird were given wings, if not to fly and praise the sky with every song it sings, where I belong within the scheme of things!  And why have eyes that see and arms that reach unless you’re meant to be something more.  If not to hunger for the meaning of it all, then tell me what a soul is for?  And tell me please, why have a mind if not to question why?  And tell me where … where is it written, what it is I am meant to be?  Just tell me where?”  I filled many a tissue with those lyrics …
 
The movie also has very strong spiritual roots, that completely resonate with me … indeed may I be worthy
 
In the end, Yentl untangles herself from the out playing plot and bravely seeks new shores, new excitement and new adventures … I love it!
 
I watch A LOT of movies!  And there are many others that I could mention by name across diverse genre’s:  The Sound of Music, Schindler's List, Die Hard (who doesn’t love a bit of Bruce?), Dogma, Star Wars (all of them!), A Beautiful Mind, Pride & Prejudice (with Matthew Macfadyen), Saving Private Ryan, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Iron Man 3, Grease, Love Actually, Notting Hill, Star Trek (Yes, all of them too!) … but Yentl does things for me that no other movie does. 
 
I admire Barbara’s ABSOLUTE exacting standards.  Zero compromise … and it shows in her work and successes.
 
So what did Yentl teach me?  It taught me - don’t take NO for an answer!  Obstacles can be overcome.  Great music speaks to your soul.  You don’t need to have the answers right this very second – enjoy the melody!
 
What is your favourite movie?  And why?
 
Love you all madly!
Warm regards …             
Collette in Cape Town
 
Song of the Post … Where is it written? By Barbara Streisand

11 comments:

Janine Huldie said...

Thank you for the suggestion here and as I am reading posts this morning realizing even though I have seen a lot of movies, I haven't seen them all. And never did see this movie and yet another I am going to have to add to my list. Thanks so much for linking up with us again and have a great weekend!! :)

Mary Hill said...

I loved Yentil too. Barbara as funny as a man. I loved the glasses she wore to disguise her identity. Great movie of courage too. thanks


http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

Linda Roy said...

I love Streisand.

Terrye said...

"Papa, can you hear me?" Yes, it's a great movie. :) Loved the movie and the soundtrack (I saved up my allowance to buy the record. lol

Stephanie @ Life, Unexpectedly said...

I honestly never managed to watch this one but it seems I will have to, soon!

Stephanie Sprenger said...

I haven't seen this movie since I was a child, and even then, I only remember parts of it. This makes me want to watch it again! Love the others on your list- great choices!

Kristi Campbell said...

I haven't seen this movie in years and want to rent it this weekend. And oh gosh - Schindler's List. Amazing.

clark said...

Good Post... great list and very excellent Commentary! Many of the Posts have good lists, but getting an insight into a movie that adds to my own is very cool.

JenKehl.com said...

Yentl is a perfect choice. I love those movies that really speak to your being. I feel that way about music. Did you ever see Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You? I really liked it. A Woody Allen musical, who knew?

Melissa@Home on Deranged said...

Don't know if you read my post or not, but I wound up watching Yentl because my mother refused to let me watch Terms of Endearment. I can't honestly remember if I liked it or not, simply because I was a pouting teenager, lol.

Zenith Thinking said...

Love all the comments ... Thank you!!!

Lovies
zenith

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.