To Be Continued …

Finally I have nailed myself to my writing desk to write the 2013 & 40th Year Wrap-up … the continuation to this post Zenith - Red Lipstick!

2013 was a big year for me!  I turned 40 (Yikes!) with all of the panic and excitement that 40 brings!  Here’s to finally closing the loop on the year that was 40 … and to welcoming my best decade … yet

My 40th year was indeed huge for me and there were indeed Red Letters, 2-pairs of Red Heels and the ever constant search for a stunning Red Lipstick.  Let’s start there …


Red Lipstick … The Red Lipstick World is indeed big, bold and bright!  Someone approaching their 40’s should know that not all Red Lipsticks are made equally and that indeed there is a right and a wrong red for your skin tone.  Not normally highly versed in the dark arts of make-up artistry, I set off in search of my new tools of sorcery.  Fortunately I learned quickly and bought 6 or 7 red lippies, that would tide me over nicely … or so I thought …

I learned (quickly), that some red lipsticks merge with your skin like new-born lambs and that some bled into your skin (read lines – I’m still in denial) and some go on like a bad kindergarten pastel.  The kind that gets on your clothes and the item of clothing needs to be thrown away … the same day!  That particular red met the bottom of my bin - swiftly!           
The writer in me loved loved loved the names on these red lipsticks … Scarlet Siren, Are you REDdy, Fire & Ice, Red Velvet, they make the mind wonder down a fabulously debauched road … ok P302 could have stretched themselves a smidgen more … but I have let it go …

I can also report that Red Lipstick is indeed VERY Princess and SUPER HIGH MAINTENANCE.  Although the world of princess-land is not foreign to me, I’m not a fusserer over make-up during the day.  Make-up goes on once a day (unless you are running out of the office to a hot date after work) with a quick re-application of lip-gloss for the rest of the WORKING (HERE) day… I don’t fuss over make-up all day long, I don’t didn’t live with a mirror on my desk to ever constantly check that my face is on correctly (course maybe I should … but I fully expect that in the future I will have people for that!)  But now I find that I have to apply, re-apply and horror of all horrors, constantly check the damn lipstick every 20 minutes of the day … to make sure I haven’t inadvertently smudged red lipstick across my face. 

I also learned that if you have streaked said red lipstick across your face accidentally … no-body will tell you?  What on earth is up with that?  Did you think it was my intention to have a streak of red across my face for the whole day?  I mean seriously?  WTF?

Drinking with Red Lippies is manageable, although the kitchen staff will curse you forever!  But eating … well that is just ugly!  Don’t even bother, stop eating! 

Having said all of that, there is something about red lipstick … something empowering, something liberating, something bold and it spoke to the older wiser me.

I also found that Red Lipstick did things to people … both men and women … and it was very interesting to watch the subtle reaction.

Red Heels … well they fall into the same category as the subtle reaction by both men and women and again … a good pair of red heels are very liberating.  This year I learned to love heels again!  Something fabulously delicious about them …

Red Letters … I officially entered the professional writing world last year, and I loved every second of it.  Those were 2 stunning red letters.  I can feel it … more to follow …

So what have I learned … when I was in my 20’s & 30’s, I remember my mother saying that these would be the most difficult years of my life and that it would all change when I turned 40.  Now don’t get me wrong, she didn’t say that every day for 20  years, that particular little pearl popped up every now and then when I was going through some kind of “they don’t like me” crisis.  Something we girls go through far too often.  I remember at the time thinking, GREAT only 15 years to go!  But she was right, that mum of mine!  On the day I turned 40 I literally heard the switch flip.  I’m not saying I am 200% bullet proof, because I am not … I have my moments.  BUT I am better at releasing a little quicker.  I work REALLY hard at being me, being a good me, being a better me, trying to be the best me I can be for me, for my soul, my children, husband, family, friends, colleagues and indeed everyone I interact with daily … but if for some confounding reason, you decide that you and I don’t fly … I’m so so so seriously ok with that.  It’s ok …

I do have one irksome thing left on my list from the Year of 40, that as yet I haven’t done … but it is still very much on my list.  I haven’t done my tat yet.  But I have settled on where and what … I’m just working on the brave part, for the when!  I’m working up to it!  What do you think?
  


I’ve been really enjoying a journey with Louise Hay.  She isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I LOVE HER!  She is 87 years old this year and she says that this is going to be her best decade ever.  I loved that … what a legacy …

2013 & ME & 40 was EPIC and the best part (for me) is that … the best is yet to come …

What plans do you have for this decade … is this going to be your best decade yet?  I would love to hear from you …

Love you all madly!  Let’s Make 2014 Count!
Collette in Cape Town

Song of the Post … the best is still UNWRITTEN  by Natasha Bedingfield


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.